Saturday, November 25, 2006

Psalm 51

This is one of my favorite Psalms. Even during the era of Kingdom Israel, David had an understanding of his sinfulness and God's merciful forgiveness. "Create in me a clean heart, O God." How true indeed the prayer!

Be gracious unto me, O God,
According to Thy love;
Please let compassion overflow
From mercies kept above.

Please wash me from iniquity
And cleanse me from my sin;
Thou knoweth my trnsgressions, Lord,
And searcheth me within.

Against Thee only have I sinned,
Did evil in Thy sight—
That Thou art justified in speech
And judgeth in the right.

For I was born in wickedness
And was conceived in sin;
But Thou requireth purity
In parts deep and within.

Please cleanse me with the hyssop, Lord,
And then I shall be clean;
Please wash my spirit white as snow,
Let gladness soon be seen.

Let all the bones that Thou did break
Rejoice in joyful song;
Please hide Thy face from all my sins
And blot out all my wrong.

Create in me a brand new heart,
A steadfast spirit true;
Cast not me from Thy presence, Lord,
Thy Spirit, please keep through.

Restore to me that joyfulness
In Thy salvation found;
Help me to guide the sinners’ ears
Unto Thy gospel sound.

Deliever me from guiltiness,
My tongue shall sing of Thee;
Please let my lips declare Thy praise
Throughout eternity.

Thou art not pleased with offering
Though I would gladly give;
A contrite heart and broken soul
Are what my life should live.

Do good to Zion with Thy love,
Build up Jerus’lem’s walls;
Delight in righeous offerings
Giv’n from our best and all.

No comments: